Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Lake Water is Always Bluer On the Other Side of the Country (or Why Chicago Should Keep A Close Eye on Lake Michigan)

First of all, a big thanks to my roomie for providing me with this interesting (though slightly more than disconcerting) environmental current event.

That's right everyone! Its time for my weekly Environmental Learning Tale. Here goes...

Why We All Wish We Were Chicago

I am a proud Philadelphian (E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! Except we always lose, and when we do, there is looting so, not really) but I have to admit that I realized a few days ago that Chicago has one thing that Philadelphia does not have (and cheese stakes, Pat's OR Gino's just doesn't make up for it.)

They have.....

LAKE MICHIGAN!

That's right, its big, it pretty cold (being a glacial lake and all) and it is a pretty significant source of drinking water. My roommate, being from outside Chicago actually gets her drinking water from the lake. Good for her. However, most of the rest of the nation, barring the east coast and northern California, really wish they had that darn lake. Until recently, however, they restricted themselves to gazing longingly towards Chicago and its nearby glacial lake.

Well, no more! Because, well, the South West just really doesn't think its fair that Chicago should have all that water while they are mostly just desert. For some reason (oh shoot, my own views are going to color the next sentence) it never occurred to them that they don't have water because THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT! Lack of water is actually part of the definition of a desert. Therefore, I'm not sure anyone should be confused as to why they don't get much rain when there is a cactus in their back yard.

Of course, the Southwest doesn't see it that way, and I sort of understand it. After all, everyone needs water. But I think they've taken it a little far.

In short. They want Lake Michigan.

This actually happened. Please refer to the link of the side of the page entitled "Great Lakes Key Front in Water Wars." Basically the idea behind the article is that the Southwest wants water from the Great Lakes and Chicago just doesn't want to give it to them.

Can you really blame them?

No. Because there are tons of environmental reasons why you don't want to ship water half way across the country to give it to a desert. Of course, there is the obvious reason that if you are going to pipe water somewhere you must have, of course, a pipe. This will take money, and resources. Enough said.

But why stop there?

It is also a bad idea because, as it stands now, water used in Chicago will drain back into Lake Michigan because Chicago is part of the lake's drainage basin. The Southwest is not. If some one pours a glass of water on to the ground it will wind up in the ocean, not in Lake Michigan. I'm not dissing the ocean here, it needs water too, but unfortunately if Chicago ships its water to the Southwest, its gone, and its not going to come back.

Which makes the third objection I have to this situation all the more important. When lake Michigan runs out of water (assuming its being piped out) the Southwest is going to be in BIG TROUBLE. It will have no more water, at all.

Chicago better keep an eye on Lake Michigan. I for one hope that it stays where the glacier put it.

To be fair, however, the Southwest should probably figure out how to get something to drink. I'd be pretty thirsty if I was in the middle of a desert. Desert frogs, for instance, bury themselves in the mud and soak up water through their skin. That might not be a possibility for people though. I don't know, I'll have to look into it.

So here's my environmental question for the week:

Environmental Question: What is the definition of Eutriphication and why is it so bad in lakes?

Post answers! And have a great week!

2 comments:

Brenna said...

I think that eutriphication has something to do with algae build-up in lakes. If this is wrong, then I have no idea whatsoever.

Brenna said...

I just noticed that there is a second part of that question. Um, algae build-up would be bad because it would keep sunlight from getting to things lower in the lakes. Maybe somethign having to do with oxygen, too. Again, I really have no idea. I'm just making this up as I go.