Monday, November 19, 2007

Kitchen Appliances Deserve Breaks Too...

Environmental Reform Tip time! See, I'd never miss two weeks, I promise. Here's a great tip I can give you all. Works like a charm...

When you are going to put food in the refrigerator, check to see if the food is warm. If it is (and this won't result in you getting food poisoning) leave the food on the counter until it cools down. If you put it in to the fridge hot, it takes much more energy to keep the refrigerator at a cold temperature because the food is warmining it up. Think of how hard your poor refrigerator must have to work!

You'd be surprised how much energy (and money!) this saves! Have a great week everyone, and a wonderful Turkey-day! Eat lots of good food, I know I will.

3 comments:

quantumberry said...

Good idea. Especially this time of year, I don't mind the hot food warming up my house, but my fridge wouldn't like it.

Also, be sure to clean the dust and dog hair away from the cooling coils in the back every now and then. Cooling coils don't cool down very well when they are wearing a fur coat! (I learned the hard way.)

Olivia said...

I do this anyway because I hate having extra water (from condensation) in my leftovers, but this is an even better reason to let the food cool first. Thanks for the tip!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.